Wednesday, October 04, 2006

choose me!

a picture of a notebook i picked up for my study of japanese. it says 'and you will be happy' so how could i not buy it?

being a vegetarian is tough when you can't read japanese and almost everything has fish or some seafood product in it. i'm so used to reading ingredient labels on any food i buy, that not being able to do that here is really tough. so i'm learning kana, which is fairly do-able. but kanji is another story. i noticed some kanji that was on both a package of sesame rice crackers and a package of seaweed i bought, so i decided to look it up. to make a long story short, i looked at 1315 kanji symbols before finding the first one of the compound i wanted to look up, then i looked at another 56 compounds before finding the right one. the mystery words? domestic product. not as exciting as i had hoped.

1 Comments:

Blogger miss lisa said...

ahh! I just saw a few Thailand pics that reminded me of my trip and I got all excited. You did the elephant trek in the jungle in Khao Sok, right? And that river picture is from there too, right? Did you go tubing down that river and into the magical monkey land hotel/restaurant place? Oh, how I loooove and miss Thailand.

Yea, I can't imagine how difficult that would be to be a vegetarian in Japan. Wow. Definitely a challenge. Once you get to know the katakana it will definitely be a little easier though, especially because so many things are just phonetically translated... like when I got a ham and cheese sandwhich, it was ham-u chee-su. or how my mango juice was man-go. Good luck with the kanji though... it's like.. so impossible.

Depending on how long you're there for and what your financial status is, you might want to invest in one of those digital english-japanese dictionaries. They're expensive but if you're going to be serious about learning the language, it's definitely worth it. I'm sure you could go down to Akihabara and find yourself a good one for a decent price.

One last thing (I know this was like an essay for a comment, haha), what kind of underwater digicam were you using?

3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home